Wednesday, February 01, 2006


Notice that turtle in the forground is shedding the old plates from its carapace! Turtles on the Silver River usually don't let you get this close... if they are awake. They sleep a lot and are everywhere in the weedpack and on the deadfall, especially on sunny days. Some have limbs and pieces of shell missing from encounters with alligators... and each other... especially when they are small and vulnerable. Only a small percentage of hatchlings make it to maturity. My favorite is the soft-shelled turtle (not shown here). It's neck is amazingly long, longer by far than a snapping turtle's. I almost got a shot of one the other day, but they are skittish and illusive and this one left in a hurry. They rarely spend time above the surface. The day I get a good picture of one, will make me very happy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, jnich23! I hope I can take here there myself someday...